Do you constantly have to correct people when you tell them your dog breed? Thankfully I don’t have anything crazy, he’s a German Shepard, and also kind of hard to assume he’s anything else lol.
Mental Floss put out a list of the 10 most commonly mispronounced dog breeds . . . and Dachshund is #1. Here they are:
1. Dachshund . . . It’s pronounced daks-hund. Or, just “wiener dog.”
2. Rottweiler . . . The correct pronunciation is rot-why-ler, not rock-wahy-ler.
3. Papillon . . . It’s pronounced just like the French word for butterfly: pa-pee-on.
4. Keeshond . . . It is kay-shond, not kee-shond.
5. Shih Tzu . . . There’s nothing inappropriate here. It’s she-dzoo.
6. Shiba Inu . . . It’s a Japanese breed pronounced she-ba-ee-nu.
7. Affenpinscher . . . It’s pronounced a-fuhn-pin-cher.
8. Weimaraner . . . This is a tricky one: It’s vahy-muh-rah-ner.
9. Samoyed . . . It’s sam-a-yed, with the emphasis on the last syllable.
10. Bichon Frise . . . It’s pronounced bee-shon free-zay.